Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Jumbled Mess of Random Hockey Musings

Since I hadn't been writing anything about hockey for quite a while, I've got a whole lot to say.
I've got quite the assortment of random thoughts on:
CBC Programs, Toronto Maple Leafs, Calgary Flames, Florida Panthers, League Wide, Player Comparisons and a few more miscellaneous comments.

So... read on.


CBC
  • First of all, I would just like to reiterate my love for Don Cherry. He's the fesitiest, more outspoken, hilarious people on TV. And he has the best suits. And he's super sweet, and I got a hug from him, but that's a story for a post that will come probably this weekend. 
  • Second, a semi-shameless plug for Jason Strudwick who is competing on Battle Of the Blades this season. Strudwick is a super nice guy (there will be more on that too when the Don Cherry story gets written) and absolutely hilarious. Not to mention the fact that Struds has some killer dance moves. So with that, watch Battle of the Blades and vote for Strudwick and Violetta. They are awesome! And Strudwick's charity is a locally-based Edmonton one, so that is also amazing! 


Toronto Maple Leafs
(You have to understand here that I am not a Leafs fan, but I have learned to tolerate them due to the fact that some of my favorite people live in Ontario and love the Leafs, so I kind of have to at least like the Leafs a little)
  • Phil Kessel's contract extension. 8 million a year. And for 8 years. Or "8 year" as he would tweet.
    Anyways, Kessel is good, don't take this the wrong way, but that is a serious long term commitment and some serious cash. Granted, 8 years only puts Kessel in his mid 30s, but still 8 years is a long time even though Kessel is part of their core group. I disagree with these deal just based on the length and the amount. I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve it, but in my opinion, it's a little bit premature, especially since his current contract doesn't run out till the end of this season. It's just a bit excessive.
    Also, Kessel's comments during his press conference of "I've always wanted to be here" and "I could never imagine that" (in regards to the money aspect of the extension) are such horseshit. He really should just go out there and say "I'm proud to be staying here for that much longer, this is a wonderful city. I am very thankful for the opportunity and I wil work my ass off to make sure I earn every penny of it" instead of trying to act humble when we all know what he is saying is an exaggeration. Because really, does he expect anyone to believe he's always wanted to play in Toronto when he was basically public enemy number 1 for a season or so? 
  • The Buffalo-Toronto preseason line brawl. I loved it. Kessel's chopping at Scott was questionable. Scott targetting Kessel was questionable. Clarkson jumping the bench was unnecessary. The goalie fight was my favorite. I don't know. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. And I loved this article on Down Goes Brown, it made me laugh a lot. 
Calgary Flames 
  • First short point.
    Dear Brian Burke,
    What exactly do you think "throw under the bus" means?
    Sincerely,
    A Very Confused and Amused Oilers Fan
  • Second short point.
    How does it feel to be the ones in a rebuild now, Flames?
    Love,
    Everyone Who Appreciates the Oilers. 
Florida Panthers
  • Florida recently signed two former Oilers defensemen, who I thought would actually end up in Europe this year. First was Tom Gilbert. After the Wild did not re-sign Gibby, it didn't look like anyone was exactly itching to pick him up. Florida did, for one year and under a million. And second, after Ryan Whitney left Edmonton with such a BANG, his future in the league wasn't looking terribly bright. But then St Louis signed him to a PTO, and then released him. Florida wasted no time in picking him up, also for a year about under a million. 
  • Florida is also responsible for bringing back the second most eccentric goalie in the league - Tim Thomas. It's great to see Tim Thomas getting a chance back in the league after his year off.  After the way he left the game, his NHL future wasn't looking all that promising either, but now he's guaranteed at least one more year in the league.
  • Florida is amusing to watch in the off-season because lately, it really does just seem like the sign all the guys that are decent players that no other team wants to take on. I love it. It's hilarious to watch. 

League Wide
 
  • Another new rule implemented this season was that it was no longer allowed to have your jersey tucked in. I think this is the dumbest rule ever. I'm sorry, but come on. Is this really what the league is concerned with when headshots are dropping players like flies? And think of the new guys in the league, they grew up watching guys like Jagr and Gretzky play the game with their jerseys tucked, and then when they start playing the mimic their icons, by the time they reach the NHL, having their jersey tucked is part of their routine. It's what they know. And that is taken away from them now. And what about the veterans (i.e. Jagr, again) who have done it their whole career? I know I would be terrified to enforce that rule with Jagr.  
  • Now here i was going to talk about the realignment some more, but I'm losing steam, so I will just make one comment, why is one of the divisions named the metropolitan division? You have to name all the divisions in the same style, it's common sense, idiots.
Is there even any comparison anymore? 
  • I was watching TSN today when I got home and they were briefly talking about the realignment and what that means for some teams and their rivalries. One rivalry they brought up was the Crosby vs Ovechkin debate.
    Now this is all just opinion, so please feel free to disagree with me and argue with me in the comments if you want.
    But really, is there even any comparison anymore? Crosby still plays a game that sets him substantially apart from the majority of the players in the league. Ovechkin still plays a strong game, but he's not playing a game that sets him apart from all his peers anymore. He's still great, but he's not doing anything that spectacular anymore. So I don't know, personally, I don't think there is even any comparison anymore.

ETC
  • HOLY HELL. THOSE STANLEY CUP RINGS.
    Chicago Blackhawks got their Stanley Cup rings this week, and wow, are they every stunning. I have yet to see a Stanley Cup ring that I thought was ugly, but the Hawks' logo is so well designed, and their colors are perfect, and together it makes a stunning ring. I was stunned when I saw the pictures of them. And then seeing the pictures of the necklaces that the wives got, those were stunning too. Congrats on the bling, Chicago! 
  • Roberto Luongo. Oh, I have so much to say here, but I will keep it short. I hated Luongo just because he plays with the Canucks, and as a girl from Edmonton, liking anyone in Vancouver is just wrong.
    The whole hell that Luongo was put through in the last couple years has made me respect Bobby Luo more than I ever anticipated. Luongo handled himself with such class, dignity and humor that it was very difficult to hate him.
    And out of that whole disaster came one of the funniest twitter accounts that has ever been created, @strombone1. No body makes fun of Luongo quite like Luongo does.  To understand what I mean by that, go look at his account. Look at what he tweeted for the season opener. And while you are there, read the rest of his self-deprecating tweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment